Thursday 18 August 2011

101 Sketches, Part the Fourth

 81 done, 20 to go! Finally finished the machines, now onto the structures.

These ones are just playing with the designs on the previous page and seeing what I could do with them. I quite like #55, the most overwrought elevator ever. #56 looks somewhat goofy, what with the in-line wheels and exhaust pipes that suggest the driver is compensating for something, but oh well.

I think it is a legal requirement in some places that anyone doing concept art must at some point design some manner of airship. That said, #63 is a long way from my favourite of this spread - it looks like a very odd zeppelin, though it could go places with some modification. My actual favourite is #61, yet another I-have-no-idea-what-it-does contraption. My best guess would be some kind of machine for mixing fluids, but my guess is as good as yours.

#67 is probably my favourite of all the machine designs, simply for the 'sails'. I am tempted to combine it with #63 to create a very fancy airship. The structures on the right-hand page could be better, none of them have an obvious function (except #71, which appears to be a belltower), and the shapes aren't especially interesting.

I appear to have stuffed up my numbering here (there are two #71s), which would explain why it got so confusing from this point onwards. That said, the second #71 is one of the more interesting ones of this spread, particularly the fire I slapped on at the end to turn it into some kind of beacon. Maybe a fantasy lighthouse? I'm also fond of #78, where I thought 'why should all these structures be above-ground?'.


And finally a handful of silhouettes, more playing with possible shapes than actually designing structures. None of them appeal to me much right now, but they could become useful base shapes for further designs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meg, near 2nd year here, Jonathan. Really liking some of the stuff that's taking shape here, you're manipulating some of the forms in a superbly original way; especially loving the sketches based on the high-heeled shoe. Just wondering whether you might find it useful to use a similar technique to your class mate, Emma, over at http://emma-foster.blogspot.com/ It's similar to how I approached the project last year, cutting out and literally assembling the forms, and sketching on them, can be really beneficial!

    ReplyDelete